What we do
The Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust Ltd is a limited company, paying tax on its income, which makes grants for political, campaigning or lobbying purposes that are ineligible for charitable funding.
Our values are rooted in liberalism and Quakerism. Recognising the equal worth of every person, we stand for the defence of liberty, freedom of expression, freedom of conscience and freedom from all forms of oppression, be that political, religious, economic or social.
Our Strategic Vision
We seek to bring about significant changes in the political system, making it more accountable, democratic and transparent and to rebalance power for the well-being of society.
The Trust seeks to:
- correct imbalances of power, supporting the voice of the individual, the small and weak where that voice is stifled by the group, the big and strong;
- strengthen the hand of individuals, groups and organisations who are striving for reform, speaking truth to power and challenging the systems that hinder justice;
- address the underlying causes of weakness and injustice in the body politic rather than remedying its superficial manifestations;
- foster creative intervention by anticipating and brokering change within the body politic;
- support a politically plural society by helping to correct the financial imbalance between the major parties;
- assist political liberals from all the major parties in the UK to promote new liberal ideas and policies.
We will endeavour to meet our aims by:
- supporting causes, people or organisations where they share our values even when they may find little favour with mainstream opinion;
- supporting our grantees with more than money to create a supportive community of shared belief;
- being responsive and flexible, allowing us to adapt our priorities to the needs of our time;
- recognising that whilst the Trust might risk its money and reputation in its grant-making, those it supports often risk very much more;
- supporting those who have identified the point where the minimum amount of thrust will have the maximum effect.
The Trust's assets are invested in equity investments and a limited amount of property.
From the Trust's present capit